Friday, October 3, 2008

Issues?

So I got a call from the pharmacy manager today, and she told me there were some issues with my hire. First I won't be able to do orientation until the 19th, which actually works out better for me because I still have to quit Dierbergs. But then she told me that they've cut back her dept hours and she won't be able to give me as many hours as she had hoped. So she said I'd only be working weekends (including Fridays since I don't have classes). Which I don't really mind, because that gives me more time during the week to get school stuff done as well as clean around the house so poor Andi doesn't have to do it all. But I really don't want to be working every weekend, but if those are the only hours I can get... I still want to get a decent paycheck. So now the decision comes down to - is it really worth it? Should I leave the great job I have to work somewhere I'll be the low man on the totem pole and have to work the crappy hours? Hopefully that's not how it would end up, but how can I know for sure? I just hope that once my availability opens up some more next semester and during Christmas break I'll get some decent hours.

I think I'm still gonna go for it. The pharmacy manager seems to be a pretty understanding person. I could tell from the call (and the fact that she called me herself this time) that she felt bad, and that it was out of her control. She said she wanted to give me more hours, and that she felt I would be a great addition to their team. But that she was really in a bind with the people who already work there and the available hours she's been given from those above her.

3 comments:

Huse Yo Mama said...

I say pray about it, first. I'll definitely say a prayer that you will get some clarity in the situation. I'm sure once you start working there and they see how awesome you are, they'll find ways to give you more hours if you want them.

Anonymous said...

I have a feeling their hours will open up. Hours for this month are based on business from the end of July and all of Aug which tends to be the slowest time of the year. Our hours got cut too because of it. Jill said she has a feeling they will go back up once we start to get busy again with cold and flu season coming in the next few months. So don't worry too much. Maybe once you get to know everyone there you can talk to them about getting every other weekend instead of every weekend.

Anonymous said...

I sent you an invitation to a "Slumber Party" I'm hosting in October and I just wanted to give you a heads up! I've invited other family members too! will Please be sure to RSVP through the email invitation and let me know if you'll be bringing any friends with you so I can be prepared! Love you! PS. CONGRATULATIONS!